Saturday, April 25, 2009

MY TERM RESEARCH PROJECT

On Thursday, April 23rd my partner and I presented our class with our project on text messaging and its impact on society. We divided the work in half. I spoke about the popularity of text messaging and why it has become such a popular technology among young people. Also, the benefits of the usage of text messages and the reasons behind its popularity. Why people prefer it instead of a phone call or email?
I also gave statistics on the usage and what countries send and receive the most messages. In my presentation I explained the impact that SMS (Short Messaging Service) has on medicine, academia and young people. I reported on how South Africa Health Campaigns use SMS to distribute health information regarding HIV/AIDS. SMS are sent to mostly everyone in the country with information on how to prevent it, how to treat it and its symptoms, facilities where they can get tested etc. And how SMS are used to make people quit smoking. SMS impact in academia, I explained the concerns that many have in regards with the "language" use in SMS, which resembles a code rather than a language. And how the this messages are braking the standard English language. Towards the end, I gave the positive and benefits of using SMS while my partner focus on the negativity of the SMS.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your presentation. I am guilty of texting 24/7 and it was very interesting to see other ways in which text messaging is used today. The history part it was also quite interesting. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also, liked your presentation. It was interesting and something new to for me to know. Also, you presented quit well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on your presentation! See, there was no need to be nervous! I am also guilty of texting all the time.

    ReplyDelete